The GameKeepers of Mossy Oak | The Effects of Predators on Wild Turkey Populations
Premiering Tuesday 8/10/2021 at 9 P.M. ET on the Outdoor Channel
On this episode of the GameKeepers of Mossy Oak we sit down with Dr. Michael Chamberlain (@wildturkeydoc) and talk predators. Dr. Chamberlain explains how predator control is such a big component in managing for wild turkeys and what can be done to improve turkey habitat and reduce predation.
- The Effects of Predators on Wild Turkeys Populations
Dr. Chamberlain explains how predators effect the survival rate of the wild turkey and what can be done to help.
- Understanding the statistics of next failure and brood survival
- What percentage of next failure is contributed to predation
- Where do turkeys nest
- What to do to make nesting areas less proficient for predators
- What is causing the increase in predators
- Making a meaningful impact on managing predators and enhancing nesting habitat
- Applying What We’ve Learned
Austin Delano explains different techniques to trap predators to depending on your location and target animal.
- Using a box trap
- Using a raccoon Cuff
- Using Leg hold traps
- Locations to set traps
- Success in The Field
Don’t miss this exciting Texas turkey hunt with Mossy Oak’s Ben Maki and Chris Paradise as they call in 5 beautiful wild turkeys.
- What Did We Learn
- Understanding you landscape from the turkey perspective
- Creating diversity with plantings and managing forest stands
- Managing native plant communities
- Understanding edge
Dive even deeper into managing turkeys with Dr. Chamberlain on episode 24 of the GameKeeper Podcast.
Join our weekly newsletter or subscribe to GameKeepers Magazine.
Your source for information, equipment, know-how, deals, and discounts to help you get the most from every hard-earned moment in the field.